Listen to the type of sound the unit is making:
- Screeching or grating sounds indicate the fan or compressor is failing.
- The fan retaining fastener could have come loose and the fan is loose in it’s housing.
- So also with the compressor, but this would be more noticeable. Shut the A/C off immediately and call for service.
- Vibrating sounds indicate the fan could be out of balance. It’s best to monitor this condition and turn the A/C off to be on the safe side. Little problems can lead to bigger ones, so call for service.
- Humming sounds coming from the motor indicate that there could be an electrical problem – shorted windings, bad capacitor, or overheated windings. Stop the A/C and call us for service immediately.